Just a fortnight ago, my husband's boss from Sultanate of Oman came to Chennai. He was here to be with his niece who came for an emergency operation. My husband requested me to give him a call and if possible a courtesy visit. As I was doing a refresher course in Madras University, Guindy campus, I decided to meet them. Coz, the hospital was relatively close by. I called him to his local number and confirmed his availability and went to the hospital.It was his on third day in Chennai i met him for first time.
I was expecting a man in early sixties or late fifties as my husband said he is his boss! To my surprise he is in late thirties!He was in blemish less Omani dishdasha complete with kumma/kimma. I thot he would not talk much with me as he did not know me. Also, he is miles away in position compared to my husband. So, i was little irresolute what to talk. But, he was quite friendly and responsive. Contrary to Arab men (he is actually Omani) he was freely talking with me about his niece's health, My husband, Omani culture and of course few things about Our India!
1. Food. Omanis are not used to chilly and tamarind. So, he had to starve! It was facetious when he said his tongue was burning after taking a Rasam! ( wondering what if he had been served karakkuzhambu!!!! :) )
2. Autos!!! I could see his head spinning !!!
3. He had rented a flat for three months near the hospital so that his niece can stay over der after the surgery for recuperation. He asked me innocently how much can he give for that flat. I told him may be around 500 Omani Rial (around 60000 rs) as he is a "sheik" ( we Indians never recognize the different types of menswear among the men from middle east, so naturally tend to call every middle easter as sheik). It was my turn to get dizzied down when he said he forked out 1800 RO ( nearly Rs 2.1 lak)!!! (May be the house owner guy will pay one year's EMI)
4. It was on my second visit. I requested him not to get offended if i told him something. He told me to go ahead. I told him not to go out in Arab Costume. Coz our ppl think that all Arab are kings!! His reply was a guffaw!!!!
5.I requested my friend Shyamala to prepare non spicy chicken briyani for them. She said,"as such i am not a good cook. And asking me to prepare a non spicy chicken briyani(?!), may be all the more disastrous". But the he liked the food very much and was really happy!!!!
6. After two days he called me and asked whether i could get him traditional Indian dress (extravagant ones) for his daughters aged 12 and 13. As I did not know how they will look, i did not want to risk! I told him if he or his sister would come with me, i can help them out! Both of them gladly accepted my suggestion. Next day i went to the hospital to pick them up. I thot of taking them to Express Avenue or High Style perungudi. But to my consternation, he said he wanted to go to a exuberant souk (market) called "teenager"!!! (driver translated "teenager" as T Nagar to me!!!). The duo splurged 25k on just 4 slawar khameez and a couple of leather handbags at Pothys!!!!!
7. From Pothys we headed to KFC. He ordered for a family pack. He was altruistic in the sense called the driver too to join for the meal. He made the driver sit next to him, and served him first. I told him right at the beginning that i wont eat non veg, so got a Pepsi and veg burger! There was a huge poster behind me and his sister in which some funny equations were written. He started reading them aloud. Like, one chicken bucket = girl friend, blah blah and finally one family combo meal (which he ordered) = one girl friend + her sister's dating!!! Tapping on the table, he said " i am going to ask for this" with a mischievous smile!!!. When we came out of KFC, he gracefully handed out Indian currencies that had denominations less than 100 to the beggers! (Around 400 Rs)
8. He wanted to see an elephant. We checked with Children's park, but, it did not house one! As it was already around 4pm, i could not take him to vandalore. He loved to see Marina Beach. So, took them through the old and new secretariats, harbour and marina!
9. He loved the books and some games that i got from Odyssey for his four children during my previous visit. So, he requested me to take him to Odyssey, so he could get similar books and games for his children. Just like that he billed for around 10k!
10. Around 7 pm i dropped them in their flat. His sister was really very happy and both of them invited me to their home in Muscat. Both of them thanked me profusely for a lively "around Chennai in ten hours". They were little guilty that i had spent the entire day with them leaving children at home.
11. He swiftly inserted big Indian rupee notes in the driver's pocket and thanked him. I returned home around 9 pm.
12. I went meet him a couple of days later to collect the casserole. Met his niece. She was fine. After sometime, i took leave. Next morning he and his sister were leaving for Muscat. He came with me till the auto stand. On the way I said, he was leaving India with two of his wishes unfulfilled. Asked him what were they? He chuckled and said, elephant and KFC offer!! I said, the offer must be valid in Oman too!! His pink and peach complexion turned crimson!!!
13. After coming home i got to know that he was clueless about hiring a taxi to airport. So, i gave him Fastrack number and informed them.
14. He smsed me that he beholden to me!!!
Nowadays "humility" is becoming almost extinct in human beings that we can even consider the word superfluous. Very few ppl could practice it. He never carried the high-handedness throughout.
"He stands tall by all means in my heart!"
Hey I read this that day itself, very interesting read. I think u have the talent of writing my dear.
ReplyDelete