Saturday, May 2, 2009

How I named my blog

May be my first blog is not a disastrous one. I used to scribble something as comment in my friends blogs. So, they asked me to start a blog of mine to pour my thoughts(!?). Though I created this a very long back, I never had time(!?) to write. Actually, I had been pondering over the subject that I would write about. As usual starting trouble. Though my comments on others blog were witty and spontaneous, I had to contrive for my blog. So, those who read this blog, hopefully do not curse me!

By the way, the content got derailed from the title. Coming back to title, being a passionate fan of Burkha Dutt of NDTV, I got to know the word resilience for the first time when Mumbai witnessed the bomb blast. I ran to the online dictionary to know what it actually meant. God, I came to knew the fact that how powerful the language English is! Already, as a student from rural background I used to drop my jaw when people use heavy jargons in English. At times self sympathy would pop up cursing my fate to study in regional language medium. But, the moment I heard of word resilience, I thought I was destined to hear that word to shed of my fear for the omnipotent language. That is how, I started to scribble in English(!?)

But, the fact is that without even knowing the meaning of the word resilience, I had been practising the essence of the word, right from my higher secondary education. I sailed to "English Medium" from regional language medium not knowing that I would get swept away by the tsunamis Physics, Chemistry and the clubbed monsters Botany and Zoology. A person who had never seen any other rank other than first right from class 1 to class 10, it was a heavy shock to get a double digit rank in a class of strength ninety and odd. The subjects where I scored more marks were Maths (which needs little English) and Tamil (needs no English at all, he he he). That dragged me up to 37th rank in the class (not to mention, my other friends from the regional language medium were bundled to the last places in descending order of rank). Gradually, I ascended to 3rd rank at the end of my 12th standard ( that too because of the villain Sanskrit. Sanskrit students can get a centum whereas Tamil students can get a maximum of 90-95%).

With all dreams to go to engineering, the second blow came in the form of leaving me in hostel for doing engineering. My parents wanted to keep me close to them, so, I had to join B.Sc. Physics instead of BE the great! I cried for few days, and as usual yielded to my parents decisions. Nevertheless to mention I saw most of friends parents doing so. So, most of my friends parents put their daughters in the most prestigious Science branch, Physics. The course became a heaven and we all enjoyed. By then, we all knew the nitty gritty of writing Physics in English. Our English medium friends helped us to understand the sentences and we intern helped them with all those mathematical part of physics. At the end of B.Sc, thanks to my friends from angloindian board, I learnt to speak in English (not so fluently of course). I deem it as a pleasure to thank my friends Anita, Annapoorni, Nandita, Anupama, Sindu who patiently taught me how to talk in English. Me getting the first rank and gold medal in my B.Sc is a different story altogether.

From there I got M.Sc. Physics admission both in University and a reputed city college. Stating the distance as a reason, my parents distanced me from University and put me in the city college for my post graduation. Being a practitioner of resilience, I went to college. Seven of my B.Sc. classmates were there. So, it was a heaven again. By then, we started receiving marriage invitations from B.Sc. friends and we enjoyed attending marriages of our friends. By the by, I reserved my first rank and gold medal in mind and got them home too!

I got married soon after my PG. I thought my marriage with Physics got divorced. But, to my surprise, my father in law sent me to M.Phil as a full timer. After that, accidentally a college hired me as a lecturer and still continuing with the college since 1999. In between I finished my doctorate too! I survived against all the odds. There were instances which drove me to a corner. There were times that took me to square one. There were moments that made me to start from scratch. I cried, cursed fate, got depressed, and what not. But, never forgot being resilient!

15 comments:

  1. got married soon after my PG. I thought my marriage with Physics got divorced. But, to my surprise, my father in law sent me to M.Phil as a full timer.... (Please add - Father in law realised... Physics has more patience than me, to bear this girl's torture..)

    ReplyDelete
  2. After that, accidentally a college hired me as a lecturer and still continuing with the college since 1999. ( Accident recovery vehicle has not found the location yet, to save the victims there :( )

    ReplyDelete
  3. dai satish, nee rommmmmmbbbbbbbbba nallavanda!

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice blog. suggest that with the content that you write, you also include google adsense for publishers...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Resilient friendMay 4, 2009 at 8:04 PM

    Good start......
    Good work done..
    Dont worry.
    There are lot of Resilient friends like me..
    Continue.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi arun and ashok, thanks(!*?).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have heard similar stories from germans.. they learn everything in German and struggle in their Doctorate when they have to write scientific papers in English.. sometimes their scientific achievments are beyond credit and their paper writing ends up like a Russel peters show!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey bala, thanks for comments!

    ReplyDelete
  9. With all dreams to go to engineering, the second blow came in the form of leaving me in hostel for doing engineering


    ..........So here starts my luck to have you as my mam

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi all ... I'm also her student ..... not affected student. i just have only one word to say "Raddy is iosyncrasies"

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good work... I enjoyed reading it and the language is excellent...The first half of the story in "How i named it" is certainly what i have undergone...I felt as if u spoke my voice... All the best!!!

    R. Uma

    ReplyDelete
  12. uma, do u remember, we used to giggle in eleventh and twelth standard for our marks. We all got less than 20 for 75 in botany in the first midterm. we even used to tease each other "one two three four ujala" if we had got one digit mark!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. yes, u r right. In order to keep the botanical name in mind, v used to scold each other with those names like, "podi hibiscus rosa synensis"(don't shoot me if the spelling is wrong)... do u remember those days?

    ReplyDelete
  14. ha ha ha, u r right uma!!!!!!! fun filled days!!!
    remember we having two sets of book, one in tamil and one in english and trying to understand(!!??)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thought provoking Radhika! I totally agree with you. I think in most families the elder daughters are bound to have more restrictions than the younger ones. (Caz we have to set example for our sisters!!!) From studying in different city, staying in hostel, going abroad before marriage, when to get married etc… younger ones get better option than the elder ones. After seeing our frds and us our parents became more matured and know what they want to do with their second daughter. Not sure if I would do the same to my kids!!!

    ReplyDelete