Sunday, May 10, 2009

What day is today?

I woke up this morning by the deafening sound of the compressor that we hired to demolish the old house. Since it is available only on Sunday, we had only one option of availing the service today. The vibrations were unbearable, and we opted to sit in the stone bench that is placed at the entrance of the house. Lazing around in the dog days, we me, my father, contractor were discussing about the new house plans. Breakfast and lunch we got from Balaji Bhavan. In between when the workers relaxed for an hour for lunch and nap, I even browsed for a while.
My father went out to get us jack fruit and melons. I was calling my friends and chatting with them albeit the compressor sound. I made tea. I was on my routine except that I was sitting in the verandah. As usual the maid servant came. Surprisingly, she was in a new saree. I asked her what is special today? She blushed and said, her children, all around 18 years of age, gifted her a saree for mothers day. I was stupefied. I had been devouring the newspaper. I went through the brouhaha of each and sundry on their mother. But, it never occured for me to wish my mom on mothers day. I repented it. Melancholy mood engulfed me. I felt a sudden vacuum as my mom is in Trichy caring my children on their vacation. But then, out of blue I got a call from my mom. She said, my little daughter wanted to wish me on mothers day after seeing an advertisement in the television. Silently my mom gave the phone to my daughter and she wished me. My mom never bothered to ask me why I did not wish her. After all, mothers are always mothers. They deserve a mothers day everyday!!!

1 comment: